Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The September issues

My favourite magazine month is September, which is traditionally the biggest issue of the year for publishers, and I always look forward to seeing who lands the highly coveted cover position. 

With the exception of Australia, celebrities dominate this years' covers, which I'm not necessarily against, but it is a clear signal that celebrity pull power is not showing any signs of slowing down. My favourite cover has to be US Vogue with Lady GaGa, shot by Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott. Close second though is Australian Harpers Bazaar, featuring Constance Jablonski, who was chosen by newly appointed editor Kellie Hush.

French Vogue created three different covers featuring Lara Stone, Kate Moss + Daria Werbowy, who are each wearing the same Dolce & Gabbana dress + shot with a dark background. This is an interesting move from Editor Emmanuelle Alt and I'm keen to see which one will perform the best.

I have to say I was disappointed with the Australian Vogue cover, which was the first for new Editor, Edwina McCann, who recently took over the helm from long-standing editor Kirstie Clements. 

Which is your favourite September cover?

{US September Issues}


{UK September Issues}


{Australian September Issues}



{Vogue Paris}




12 comments:

  1. I like Australian editions and French Vogue very much. UK Vogue was disappointing, as far as the cover goes.... Elle would be alright if they didn't airbrush Rosie so much. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like the photography on the Australian covers but what happened to the text? they look unfinished and vogue should never look unfinished! vogue paris is classic. cannot wait to get my hands on a copy :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not very enthusiastic about either of these, but I think I choose French Vogue. Love that Emmanuelle chose models for the cover. I don't get Anna Wintour's policy at all.
    Ada

    ReplyDelete
  4. September is always my favorite as well! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so with you-- September issues are always the most anticipated and juiciest (and thickest!!) Interesting move by Vogue to go with the same image alternate models.. not sure how I feel about that. That Harper's Bazaar cover is pretty fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm 100% with you! I can't wait to start getting my September issues in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just got my September Elle and love it! And wow, I'm loving that Harper's Bazaar cover, I want it framed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't found a cover yet that really speaks to me but of these I would say that Vogue Paris with Kate Moss gets my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like the Bazaar one best. :) I mean the hat. Come on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And I'll be in civilization to get them! :) My favorite is the US Bazaar and I do like the Aussie Bazaar just think it needs some text.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do like the aussie Bazaar and also can't go past Kate Moss on French Vogue...I don't get the celebrity angle either :)x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the Aussie HB with Keira - a bit moodier than the typical cover I think, and it works. To be honest, not a fan of the Parisian Vogue with any of the three - I like the concept but I think it could have been done more effectively. It's nice to see them all together here - great idea!

    ReplyDelete